Another cryo problem

LYTTLE at BOTN.CANTERBURY.AC.NZ LYTTLE at BOTN.CANTERBURY.AC.NZ
Thu Sep 22 18:23:10 EST 1994

     Dear all,
     The comments over the last week or so about cryopreservation
of microorganisms have prompted me to put my own problem before the
net.
     I am working with four Comamonadaceae able to degrade
in pure culture the nitrogen heterocyclic compound isoquinoline as
sole
carbon, nitrogen and energy source. Unfortunately they have a nasty
tendency to lose the phenotype, especially when grown
in a complex medium such as nutrient broth, LB medium and so forth.
My problem is that to restore the cultures from stock at -80 C the
organisms currently have to be grown in a complex medium or they won't
provide a large enough inoculum for study.
      Does anyone know of a method of cryopreservation and
restoration that may get round this? At the moment I am using the
"Protect" bacterial preservers from Technical Service Consultants in
the UK which use beads and a cryopreservative fluid. Any suggestions
would be leapt upon with great glee and gusto!! Thanx in advance.

Trevor C Lyttle
Plant & Microbial Sciences Dept
University of Canterbury
Christchurch