infected SEMEN, help needed!

BCapstone bcapstone at aol.com
Fri Sep 23 16:30:02 EST 1994

THIS IS A MYSTERY!  The patient is SICK and any help will be appreciated.
I have a patient who became septic with Enterobacter Cloacae(5 of 6 blood
cultures positive) after a bout of acute prostatitis.  Several cultures of
Expressed Prostatic Secretions prior this episode were negative.  SEMEN
cultures have been postive for Staph Haemolyticus, Staph Epidermidis, a
second strain of Staph Epidermidis, or have been negative.  Light
microscopy of EPS showed 60 wbc's per high powered field(unfortunately
slide was not saved or stained for bacteria).  Microscopy of SEMEN shows
normal sperm, 5 to 10 wbc's per hpf, numerous cocci, and A few rods(seems
to be two kinds.)  (Oddly semen does not seem to gram stain well, and I am
still unsure if the rods are gram positives or negatives.)  WHY DON'T
THESE RODS GROW IN CULTURE?  WHAT CAN BE DONE TO IDENTIFY THEM OR VERIFY
THAT ONE IS Enterobacter Cloacae?  There does not appear to be any other
source for the sepsis but the prostate.  HELP!  I will watch this board
for posts and will be happy to receive E-mail.
Thank you.
BCapstone at aol.com