Survival of Fecal Coliform in Lakes

Charles N. Haas HaasCN at Dunx1.ocs.drexel.edu
Mon Sep 26 06:29:14 EST 1994

In article <35t9pq$drj at newsbf01.news.aol.com>, runnerdes at aol.com
(Runnerdes) wrote:

> I wonder if anyone has any references on survival of fecal coliforms and
> other human/animal bacteria and viruses in lakes.  Is there a temperature
> cut-off below which these criters can't make it?  If so, is it dependent
> on species or is it a more general temperature requirement?

For two recent references, see:

Auer, M. T. and Niehaus, S. L. (1993). ³Modeling Fecal Coliform Bacteria -
I. Field and Laboratory Determination of Loss Kinetics.² Water Res. 27(4):
693-701.

Canale, R. P., Auer, M. T., Owens, E. M., Heidtke, T. M. and Effler, S. W.
(1993). ³Modeling Fecal Coliform Bacteria - II. Model Development and
Application.² Water Res. 27(4): 703-714.

from the keyboard of:         Charles N. Haas:LD Betz Professor of Environmental Engineering
Drexel University:::Philadelphia, PA 19104
HaasCN at Dunx1.ocs.drexel.edu         OWNER: ENVENG-L at TEMPLEVM.BITNET
[INSERT USUAL DISCLAIMER HERE]