infected SEMEN, help needed!

Matthew Stoecker quinnt at u.washington.edu
Tue Sep 27 17:27:00 EST 1994

In article <369qop$843 at lastactionhero.rs.itd.umich.edu>, jperrin at umich.edu
(John Perrin) wrote:

> BCapstone (bcapstone at aol.com) wrote:
> : In article <366hh3$10k at charm.magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu>,
> : dstothar at magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Diane Stothard) writes:
>
> : <<<<<<Get ahold of some prokaryotic 16S rRNA primers and so some PCR on
> : your sample. You will have to clone your products and sequence them
> : individually since it appears that you have several microbes. After that,
> : you can BLAST your sequence to GenBank and receive a list of the closest
> : relatives to your critters. If
> : you're lucky, you may not have uncovered something completely new and it
> : will
> : already be in GenBank. Or, if you're lucky, you will have uncovered
> : something
> : new and get famous. Depends on how you look at it! You can PCR from your
> : semen sample, the fresher the better. The protocols would be similar to
> : PCRing from whole blood. Good luck!>>>>>>
>
> : Thanks for your reply.  What is PCR?  What is GenBank?  I will check at
> : the hospital and see if they have this but I suspect that they do not.  If
> : necessary, I would PAY someone to do this, as eventually I would like to
> : publish this case.  However, I want the patient to have a "happy ending,"
> : some relief from the symptoms, and perhaps if I could identify these
> : organisms therapy would be successful.  Would you consider doing it?  Or
> : now someone who would?
>
> I cannot believe what I am reading here.  The first followup to this
> posting was incredibly unfeeling.  It appeared to me that the person was
> more interested in making the doctor famous instead of making their
> patient better.  At least the doctor stuck to his/her guns and seemed
> more worried about the patient than making a recovery than getting their
> name in journal article somewhere.  Diane doesn't seem to ever have
> experienced a bout of gram negative sepsis, or being worried about its
> possible return, otherwise she would have  been more worried about the
> patient rather than someones fame and fortune.  No wonder this country
> is taking a nosedive.  Some people even try to take some advantage, and
> make money off of sick people.  Completely disgusting.

I cannot believe what I just read.  A scientist posted a question as to
how one might identify an unknown organism that cannot be cultured.
Another scientist wrote back with a suggestion, meant only to be helpful.
I suppose it never occured to John Perrin that someone with expertise in
organism identification might not have similar expertise in treatment of
sepsis.  Lay off, for goodness sake.  We're here to help each other.

Actually, this whole thread smells of alt.syntax.tactical.

Matthew Stoecker
U. of Washington