infected SEMEN, help needed!

BCapstone bcapstone at aol.com
Tue Sep 27 23:41:01 EST 1994

I have received many responses to my infected semen question.  Many have
suggested the polymerase chain reaction.  Blast analysis, DNA sequencing,
etc. have been mentioned.  I must confess that I need more information on
these techniques especially the Blast analysis and DNA sequencing.  Is the
PCR method the best technique for this particular clinical problem
(basically, semen with several bacteria seen on light microscopy that will
not grow in culture)?  The patient has rods in his semen and grew
enterobacter cloacae from blood cultures during acute prostatitis.  I
cannot confirm its presence in either the semen or expressed prostatic
secretions so far.