infected SEMEN, help needed!

Martin Latterich micro at mendel.berkeley.edu
Thu Sep 29 07:48:31 EST 1994

In article <35vhcq$469 at newsbf01.news.aol.com>
bcapstone at aol.com (BCapstone) writes:

> THIS IS A MYSTERY!  The patient is SICK and any help will be appreciated.
> I have a patient who became septic with Enterobacter Cloacae(5 of 6 blood
> cultures positive) after a bout of acute prostatitis.  Several cultures of
> Expressed Prostatic Secretions prior this episode were negative.  SEMEN
> cultures have been postive for Staph Haemolyticus, Staph Epidermidis, a
> second strain of Staph Epidermidis, or have been negative.  Light
> microscopy of EPS showed 60 wbc's per high powered field(unfortunately
> slide was not saved or stained for bacteria).  Microscopy of SEMEN shows
> normal sperm, 5 to 10 wbc's per hpf, numerous cocci, and A few rods(seems
> to be two kinds.)  (Oddly semen does not seem to gram stain well, and I am
> still unsure if the rods are gram positives or negatives.)  WHY DON'T
> THESE RODS GROW IN CULTURE?  WHAT CAN BE DONE TO IDENTIFY THEM OR VERIFY
> THAT ONE IS Enterobacter Cloacae?  There does not appear to be any other
> source for the sepsis but the prostate.  HELP!  I will watch this board
> for posts and will be happy to receive E-mail.

Have you tried contacting your local public health authorities on that
matter, or the Center for Disease Control (CDC) in Atlanta, GA ?  The
CDC should be able to help you identify the rods in the semen specimen,
either by non-routine culture efforts and/or PCR, or at least refer you
to labs able to perform such analysis.

Their tel. number is: (404) 639-3311

In addition, I suggest you contact either Drs. Relman or Falkow at the
Department of Medicine, Stanford University, California, who have
actively researched into classification of bacteria by 16S RNA
analysis. Unfortunately I don't have a Stanford directory at home and
can tell you their number.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

                        Sincerely,

                        Martin Latterich
                        BIONET.MICROBIOLOGY Discussion Leader
                        micro at mendel.berkeley.edu