Semen! Need help

BCapstone bcapstone at aol.com
Thu Sep 29 20:59:02 EST 1994

In article <9409292106.AA27012 at umailsrv1.UMD.EDU>,
Lynne_A_WHITEHEAD at UMAIL.UMD.EDU (lw75) writes:

<<<<<I haven't been keeping up on all the postings concerning your effort
determine what's infecting the semen, but I was wondering if the semen
cannot be gram stained or if the gram stains are questionable.  If it's
the
latter of the two options, you may want to test it for Gardnerella because
previously it was difficult to culture (now there are ways to culture it)
and it is a gram positive rod (HOWEVER it's refered to as gram
questionable
because it reacts both ways with the gram stain but studies have shown the
it's more like gram +, since they were unable to isolate LPS from it and
it's cell wall is more like gr.+)  It's just a thought since it seems to
be
isolated from more males lately. (formerly it was mostly isolated it
bacterial vaginosis, ect. -"female" illnesses)>>>>>>

Excellent point.  The more I study prostatitis the more I wonder if it is
not analogous to pelvic inflammatory disease with many vaginal pathogens
and anaerobes playing a part as well as the enterobacteraciae which are
the commonly accepted pathogens.  I will ask the lab to look for
Gardnerella.  Is there a specific culture media for it?  The cultures of
the semen right now are growing gram positive cocci.  Media being used is
CDC ANA BLOOD, COLUMBIA CNA SB, CDC ANA BLOOD, AND EMB MODIFIED.  The
first three are positive for gram positive cocci, the EMB is not growing
anything.  Still the mysterious rods are not showing up in culture.