Semen! Need help

Robert Morrell Jr. bmorrell at ISNET.IS.WFU.EDU
Fri Sep 30 14:46:15 EST 1994

Having explored this case both in am off list thread with the original
poster and on list postings, I must conclude that there is a
contradiction in this list's approach.

The patient had E. cloacae in his blood. No source of the infection was
found.

The patient has what appears to be rods in his semen, but it stains poorly
and does not grow on culture.

The contradiction is that many, including myself initially, looked for
some fastidious or unknown organism, when the question that the original
poster has is could it be the E. cloacae that infected the blood?

I say that it could not be. E. cloacae is a standard enteric, easy to grow
on routine media. Bacterial prostatitis cases routinely recover enterics
from culture, so clearly there is nothing in the prostate environment that
intrinsically prevents recovery of the organism.  This is a classic case
of non-bacterial prostatitis, and therefore one would not suspect E.
cloacae, and therefore it is probably not the source of the sepsis.

Divorced from the blood culture, this case becomes just another in a long
series of frustrations in identifying the pathogens involved in
non-bacterial prostatitis. Interesting perhaps, but not a new problem.

Bob Morrell