Genetics question.....

Jim Loats loats1 at
Tue Apr 11 09:35:46 EST 1995

ajmst37 at writes:

>I have a question regarding genetics.

>I was watching the show "Medicine Ball" tonite and was wondering about
>something.  Two dwarves had a child, and the father said that there was
>a one-in-four chance of the child being non-dwarf.  But if the parents
>are dwarves, does that not mean that they are both homozygous recessive?
>wouldn't this mean that there is no chance of the child being a non-dwarf?

>I'm only a sophmore in college, so I might just be undereducated on the

As I understand it, dwarfism is a *dominant* trait, so if both parents
were heterozygous the child would indeed have a 1/4 chance of being
non-dwarf (doing the Punnett square is left as an exercise for the
reader :^)

                     Jim Loats -- loats1 at
                     Red meat isn't bad for you.  Furry,
                       blue-green meat is bad for you.