Help: Yersinia taxonomy

Bruce Micales bmicales at
Tue Apr 18 20:24:35 EST 1995

Hello one and all:

I am compling a list of bacterial names that despite what has been found, the
old names have been retained due to their medical importance.  One such
organism (that I recall) is Yersinia pestis.  I seem to recall (and this is
only from memory and therefore may be incorrect)  that a taxonomy study was
done and it was discovered that Yersinia pestis was in fact a subspecies of
Yersinia pseudotuberculosis.  However, due to the potential confusion this
might cause, it was decided to keep the older name Yersinia pestis because of
its medical importance.

Does anyone know if this is true and if so please give me the reference.  I
have not tried searching the library yet (this question arose over the weekend
and I thought I had it in my notes -- 10 years old).

Reply either here or you may e-mail at : bmicales at  .

I appreciate  the help from one and all.

Bruce Micales

Bruce Micales
bmicales at
Department of Anatomy