Developing antibiotic resistance in E. coli

Richard Friedman friedman at
Thu Apr 27 15:50:00 EST 1995

I am trying to teach students about the evolution of antibiotic resistance
in organisms like E. coli. I was planning on exposing the E. coli to
increasing dosages of antibiotics like amp and tet. I could use rifampicin
but I think it would show resistance much too easily.

Does anybody have any experience in this sort of lab activity?

Any suggestions, comments would be appreciated.

Friedman at

* "This Genie gig has it's ups and        `(:>)~\         *
* downs -- PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER,              \     /  *
* itty-bitty living space."                       \___/   *