Help! Salmonella in sewage sludge

K N and P J Harris ecoli at cix.compulink.co.uk
Wed Aug 2 03:15:40 EST 1995

Salmonella survival in soil.
I have just had a student finish a lit survey on this topic. When I get
back to the lab I will look up his general findings, Salmonella can
survive in soil but the length of time is very variable. I would be a
little suspicious of generalisations about where contamination can move
to on a hillside. Water moves in very mysterious ways sometimes. They
can check by adding a harmless chemical tracer and see whether it turns
up in the fountain.
Peter Harris,Dept of Soil Science, University of Reading, UK.
AKA P.J.Harris at reading.ac.uk