Sourcing Antibiotics for Culture Media

Jeremy Carson carsonj at ozemail.com.au
Tue Aug 1 08:20:19 EST 1995

I am in the process of developing enrichment culure media for several bacterial
fish pathogens. I have been able to source common antibiotics available through
chemical suppliers such as Sigma and ICN but I would also like to test more
unusual antibiotics.

I have contacted some pharmaceutical companies but the responses make
acquisition of any antibiotics very prohibitive, mostly because of the legal
requirements regarding ownership of research findings. One company said they
would supply 1g of antibiotic on condition that they had sole rights to all the
intellectual property arising from the project!

Does anyone have any advice on how or where to obtain less common or
non-generic antibiotics in a simple, straightforward way?