Tetsuji Ishigaki ishigaki at
Tue Aug 8 04:28:42 EST 1995

 To Veljo Kisand

> Does anybody have or know how I can get minicells which I like to stain

> with some fluorescence marker and use for protozoa grazing experiments
> these bacterial mini cells?

I have used E. Coli minicells for protozoa grazing expriments.

At first,you had better get E. Coli x1488 strain.
And, refer to the next paper when you separate minicells from E.coli

 A.A.Christen, M.L.Pall, T.Manzara & P.Lurquin. Gene 23, 195-198 (1983).

I tried to  stain minicells with DTAF.
About Staining method of DTAF,I refered to the next paper.

 B.F.Sherr, E.B.Sherr & R.D.Fallon. Appled and Environmental Microbiology
53, 958-965 (1987).

Hope it will help.

Tetsuji ISHIGAKI
Address : ishigaki at
University of Tokyo , Ocean research Institute , Plankton Division
TEL : 81-3-5351-6477
FAX : 81-3-5351-6480