surgeons nose

HANS BUSK hans.busk at dkb.dk
Tue Aug 8 15:04:00 EST 1995

RJ> Why is anyone really concerned anymore about MRSA? MRSA infection
RJ> rates are so high that anyone who empirically treats with oxacillin
RJ> or a ceph

That is a pure result of inappropriate use of antibiotics. Your
statistiscs may be true in your area, but not everywhere. I Denmark the
current prevalence of MRSA is 0.3%, most strains is directly imported
via patients transferred from hospitals in southern Europe or USA. So
far we have been able to contain these imported strains.

We have a rather strict use of antibiotics, partly because we as a
result of too much use of tetracycline had a world record of MRSA in the
seventies (the prevalence was 25% if I remember right).

The answer to problems with resistent strains is not more, or newer
antibiotics, but a restrictive approach.

Coincidently, to me it also agrees with common sense (you know Darwin
and all that).

yours
Hans Erik Busk
Danmark
 * RM 1.3 02496 * Unable to boot. Read online documentation for help!