surgeons nose

ken_bromberg at interramp.com ken_bromberg at interramp.com
Wed Aug 9 01:51:01 EST 1995

In article <Pine.SOL.3.91.950807111103.15396B-100000 at isnet>,
<bmorrell at ISNET.IS.WFU.EDU> writes:
> From: bmorrell at ISNET.IS.WFU.EDU ("Robert Morrell Jr.")
> Newsgroups: bionet.microbiology
> Subject: Re: surgeons nose
> Date: 7 Aug 1995 08:20:25 -0700
> Sender: daemon at net.bio.net
>

> While I almost have to laugh at any medical professional who questions
> whether patients treated by MRSA infected people are at any increased
> risk of MRSA infection (germ theory of medicine anyone?) I would raise a
> more practical question that reverse the issue again:
>
> Why is anyone really concerned anymore about MRSA? MRSA infection rates
> are so high that anyone who empirically treats with oxacillin or a ceph
> is taking grave risks, vanco therapy is obviously the first choice in
> such infections, and with that MRSA become just another bug.
>

> *                     Bob Morrell                       *
> *              bmorrell at isnet.is.wfu.edu                *
> * The operation was a success, as the autopsy will show *

However, if vancomycin is not limited, you will be forced to live with
untreatable enterococci.  There are certain approaches that could avoid
universal vancomycin use.  1)Non-hospitalized patients have lower rates of
MRSA, thus you don't need to start vanco every time. 2)Staph dose not kill
immediately, even in neutropenic patients, thus you can await sensitivities.
Hospitalized patients with gram positive infections can get vanco.  There has
to be a bit of the art of medicine practiced.  Eventually we will just have
chicken soup.

Ken Bromberg, MD
Pediatric Infectious Diseases
SUNY HSC at Brooklyn