pH optimum for bacterial growth

David Kafkewitz kafkwtz at ANDROMEDA.RUTGERS.EDU
Mon Aug 14 12:35:57 EST 1995

>In article <40fcei$2th at populus.slu.se>, herman at populus.slu.se (Peter
Herman) says:
>>You have to watch the ionic strength of KPhos buffere since some bugs
>>have problems with high PO4 directly or because of the effect on Ca
>>
>>A better choice is often one of the Good buffers like MOPS
>
>I second the choice of a Good buffer - vastly underutilized in
>microbiology.

Good  buffers are a good choice only if the bacteria do not degrade them.
They are a bad choice, in my opinion, for enrichment cultures, since you may
enrich for buffer degraders.  Sodium bicarbonate and sodium carbonate, are a
better choice.  The carbon dioxide buffer system is more ecologically
correct than most other buffers.
David Kafkewitz, Department of Biological Sciences,
 Rutgers University, Newark N.J. 07102, U.S.A.
 201 648 5865; fax: 201 648 1007
kafkwtz at andromeda.rutgers.edu