pH optimum for bacterial growth

K N and P J Harris ecoli at cix.compulink.co.uk
Tue Aug 15 04:53:14 EST 1995

There are lots of buffer systems.
I would not choose a phosphate system first off as the concentrations of
phosphate are quite high and can interfere with loads of other media
constituents. (I once tried to buffer plate count media in the hope of
controlling pH changes that took place once things started to grow. Net
result - all the counts went down !). try to get hold of a good book on
media or failing that the list produced in the Documenta Geigy series.
Then make sure that your bugs are not allergic to the buffer
constituents.
Peter Harris, Soil Science Dept, Univ of Reading, UK.