pH optimum for bacterial growth

Brian_D Lanoil lanoilb at
Wed Aug 16 12:35:56 EST 1995

I find this whole discussion rather interesting.  There is a lot of
discussion about which types of buffers are better, what pH the bacteria
should be grown at, etc.  However, I really think that all of this
depends upon what _type_ of bacteria you are trying to grow, doesn't it?
After all, Thiobacillus ferroxidans, which actually requires a pH of
about 3 or so to grow, would require very different growth conditions
than E. coli, or even moreso for an Archaea that lives in a soda lake.

I have lost track of the original poster's address, but I would like to
know: what exactly are you trying to grow, and if it is environmental
samples, what are you trying for.

Let me know what you think.

Brian D. Lanoil   Department of Microbiology
Oregon State University   Nash 222
Corvallis, OR 97331   (503)737-3334
lanoilb at
"Quippy quote here..."