pH optimum for bacterial growth

David Glover D.J.Glover at bham.ac.uk
Wed Aug 16 09:32:15 EST 1995

In article <40nr50$ef4 at synapse.bms.com> mamber at synapse.bms.com (Stephen Mamber) writes:
>From: mamber at synapse.bms.com (Stephen Mamber)
>Subject: Re: pH optimum for bacterial growth
>Date: 14 Aug 1995 15:46:40 GMT

>In article <40fcei$2th at populus.slu.se>, herman at populus.slu.se (Peter Herman)
>says:
>>You have to watch the ionic strength of KPhos buffere since some bugs
>>have problems with high PO4 directly or because of the effect on Ca
>>
>>A better choice is often one of the Good buffers like MOPS

>I second the choice of a Good buffer - vastly underutilized in
>microbiology.

Yeah I too would go with the Good buffers. I use MOPS and MES for buffering,
at high and low pH, cultures of a yeast that strongly acidifies its medium.

However, I would be interested to hear what concentrations of buffer people
use. About 50 mM is quite typical in many publications but I find this conc.
quite useless.I have to go as high as 0.3M to get good pH control but then
worry about what other effects this conc. might have on the culture.

Any thoughts?

David Glover.