TRANSPARENCIES WANTED!

William Raymond Morr wmorris at cix.compulink.co.uk
Fri Aug 18 13:21:57 EST 1995

Increasingly, my colleaguesand I are being asked to present wide ranging
talks on many aspects of health-related water microbiology.  Being
located in the "affluent" ?developed world all I seem to be able to lay
my hands on are fairly indifferent slides of sewage works, water works,
some viruses and bacteria and a few protozoan parasites.  What I need to
know is whether (a) there is/are commercial suppliers of transparencies
or (b) kind hearted folk who have duplicates or slides for loan that can
be copied and returned for a nominal (if any) fee.

I am interested in all areas including the following:

1. Scenic views of third world water-related projects/problems e.g. open
sewers in south America, flooding in Bangladesh, drought conditions etc

2. Low-level technology in developing countries e.g. hand-pumps,
latrines, lagoons etc

3. Good photographs of any water-borne pathogens e.g. E coli 0157, Vibrio
cholerae, Salmonella, Strongyloides as well as those where water is an
integral part of the life cycle of parasites e.g. malaria, guinea worm,
onchocerciasis (in these cases photos of the vectors would be useful!) -
the bugs themselves and any culture characteristics e.g. cpe, colony
morphology

4. Closer to home are there any sources of pictures of the commoner water
and wastewater treatment processes, rivers receiving sewage, sea
discharge, recreational use of waters etc?

Any information would be gratefully received - as would any offers of
slides!

The idea is to build up a library of slides for use by a small group of
public health scientists in the UK so that the next generation know more
about waterborne disase than just how to do PCR!

Many thanks in anticipation!

Dr Ray Morris
142 Hinckley Road, Barwell, Leicestershire LE9 8DN, United Kingdom
Tel/Fax: (+44)-1455-842145
eMail: wmorris at cix.compulink.co.uk