AMYLASE mystery--2 attack sites?

J. Jeffrey Wilson Ph.D. jjwilson at freenet.calgary.ab.ca
Mon Aug 21 23:38:03 EST 1995

Hi Bruce,
Firstly, is your transmittance following the reduction in turbidity
(iodine blue colour or ?) of the gelatinized cornstarch solution as it is
hydrolyzed by the amylase or are you actually measuring formation of glucose
in a colorimetric assay?  How long are you following the reaction?  What
temperature?  Is it possible that bacterial growth on the glucose is occurring,
causing an increase in turbidity?  Try a plate count or microscopic check
(1000X oil immersion).  Saliva is a good source of bacteria, as you probably
know.

I have heard of re-polymerization of enzyme hydrolyzed cellulose after
extensive hydrolysis to glucose, but haven't seen this in starch.

Anyway, some food for thought.

Jeff Wilson