Looking for growth conditions for Haloarcula marismortui

Betty Freeborn freeborn at neutron.chem.yale.edu
Tue Aug 29 12:51:48 EST 1995

Haloarcula marismortui, which once grew healthily in our lab to an
optical density of 5.5 at 550 millimicrons, now grows to less than an
optical density of 1.0 at same wavelength.  The medium we are using is
the Yonath recipe(1985, FEBS Lett. 184, 68-71), per liter 208 g. NaCl, 46 g.
MgSO4 anhydrous, 0.125g. MnCl2(anhydrous), 10g. yeast extract,pH adjusted
to 7.2 after sterilization with 0.2M NaOH, and 0.5 g. CaCl2 added, also
after sterilization.
THe pH does seem to be critical, and more Mn seems to be helpful, but the
cells still stop growing before O.D. 1.0.  Anybody have any ideas?

--
Betty Freeborn.  Have a delightful day!