cyanobacterial toxins (fwd)

Paul Mcgregor Taylor taylorpm at ARIEL.UCS.UNIMELB.EDU.AU
Tue Aug 29 19:42:38 EST 1995

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 1995 10:37:43 +1000 (AEST)
From: Paul Mcgregor Taylor <taylorpm at ariel.its.unimelb.edu.au>
To: microbiology at net.bio.net
Subject: cyanobacterial toxins

I've just been doing some thinking. Does anyone have any idea what
purpose, apart from advantage over competitors, cyanobacterial toxins may
serve? Microcystin, produced by Microcystis aeruginosa is a cyclic
heptapeptide, so it is unlikely to be a by-product. Could they possibly
serve the same purpose as the membrane derived oligosaccharides (MDO's)
found in Gram negative bacteria? That is, providing some form of
protetcion against osmotic pressure. We know that the toxins are really
only released in great quantities upon cell lysis. Anatoxins, produced by
Ananbaena flos-aquae, are samller than the microcystins, and resemble
oligosaccharides in their structure.
However, not all strains of the above mentioned cyanobacterial species
produce such toxins.
I would be interested to see if anyone had any other ideas about these
amazing toxins.

Thanks,

Paul Taylor
University of Melbourne, Australia.