Guy Plunkett III guy at
Thu Aug 31 10:49:48 EST 1995

In article <9508310126.AA13962 at>,
poggio at SERVIDOR.DGSCA.UNAM.MX (Sebastian Poggio) wrote:

> Hello netusers:
>    I need a protocol in order to get protoplasts from Escherichia coli.
> Does anyone can help me?. Thanks in advance,
>                                  Dr. Laura Camarena
>                                  Instituto de Investigaciones Biomedicas
>                                  Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico
>                                  A.P.70-228. Mexico D.F. 04510
>                                  FAX  5 50 00 48

I haven't done it recently, but I used to have great success with the protocol
in the following reference. It is an RNA extraction protocol, but the first
step involves peparing protoplasts:

W. Summers (1970) A simple method for extraction of RNA from E. coli utilizing
diethyl pyrocarbonate. Analytical Biochemistry 33:459-463.

Cheers, GUY

Dr.Guy Plunkett III for the E. coli Genome Project
Laboratory of Genetics
University of Wisconsin        Phone: (608) 262-2534
445 Henry Mall                 Fax:   (608) 263-7459
Madison, WI  53706             Internet: guy at

                "Life is too short, and DNA too long."
                  -- Michael Crichton, Jurassic Park