Fermentation Equipment

Lesley Robertson L.A.Robertson at stm.tudelft.nl
Thu Aug 31 03:39:00 EST 1995

bka at po.CWRU.Edu (Benjamin K. Asher) wrote:

>Would apppreciate any comments from users concerning experience with
>different manufacturers of fermentation equipment.  In particular, a
>comparison of reliability, ease of use and service response of equipment
>from New Brunswick Scientific, B. Braun, and Applikon in 10 to 50 liter
>size fermentors.  Also, any comments on software packages for fermentation
>control systems either from equipment manufacturers or of those purchased
>separately.

We've been using Applikon extensively for at leat 10 years to grow the
whole range of cultures (bacteria from pH 1.5 to 10.5, aeroic &
anaerobic; yeasts, fungi, mixed cultures) in stirred reactors, airlifts
and fluidized beds. We've had few problems, and Applikon were very good
when troubles did arise (e.g. acidophilic thiobacilli eat stainless steel
for breakfast - they provided poly-carbonate baffles). Of course, their
main office is just down the road from us, which might help as far as
service is concerned - I can't speak for their N.American operation.
Their Biowatch software is very good - we use for all activites from 1st
year fermentation pracs to research.

--
Dr. Lesley A. Robertson
Kluyver Laboratory for Biotechnology