bacillus popiliae transposon?

YourNameHere yournetid at cornell.edu
Thu Dec 14 23:25:52 EST 1995

I have been working for a while with a strain of Bacillus popiliae,
trying to isolate (an separate) its three naturally occurring plasmids.
I would like to study its smallest, most elusive plasmid but am having a
hard time even seeing it on a gel.  I have tried a number of techniques
including restricting an entire plasmid prep and ligating the pieces into
a vector.  I then transformed E.coli with the recombinant vector and
screened for the pieces.  I have no way of telling which plasmid a piece
came from except to do a hybridization, but then of course I have to get
detectable amounts of the dna to run on the gel.  My latest idea was to
mutagenize B. popiliae with a suitable selectable transposon, isolate the
plasmid dna, and transform E.coli with it, selecting for the transposon
marker.  I foresee two problems with this and would like advice.  I have
not seen any commercially available transposons for B.popiliae, yet there
are plenty for other Bacillus species, including B.subtilis.  Are these
transposons species-specific or can I just use any Bacillus
transposon-vector?  Also, once I transformed E.coli with the mutagenized
Bacillus plasmids, would the E.coli be able to recognize the Bacillus
origin-of-replication and thus replicate the plasmids, or are the ORI
sites between the two bacteria lines drastically different?  If they are
different, then could I find a transposon that carried an E.coli ORI
sites so that the mutagenized Bacillus plasmids could replicate in
E.coli?  I would appreciate any information whatsoever on this subject.
My email address is pk20 at cornell.edu

thank you,

Peter Kolchinsky