Ship Ballast Water Treatment - information needed!

David Green dgreen at sbsnov1.auckland.ac.nz
Fri Feb 10 22:05:52 EST 1995

There is a deep water port being proposed for a small city (Nelson) in New
Zealand.  The aim is to bring 'super' freighters into New Zealand, which
currently are unable to come into existing ports, and ship-out larger
quantities of, for example, coal, timber, meat.

The existing proposal is to treat the ballast water from these ships
onshore.  Normally, ships coming to NZ are required to 'exchange' their
ballast water just beyond the 200 mile economic zone.  It is feared that
there is a risk that unwanted species of phytoplankton, larvae of starfish
etc may not be adequately treated and disposed of, and are being brought
into close contact to sensitive areas of our coastline.  The Nelson region
has a very large Scallop industry, and aquaculture in New Zealand is a
significant export earner, hence it is very important that unwanted
species of (eg.) toxic algae are not unnecessarily introduced into NZ
waters.

We are very interested to here from anybody who is undertaking research
into ship ballast water treatment; problems associated with the safe and
adequate disposal of such.  If you have papers or research reports or know
of good sources of such information we would be very greatful to hear from
you.

Thank you

David Green
School of Biological Sciences