Protozoal Enzyme Problem

Heather Martin hcm at rri.sari.ac.uk
Tue Feb 21 07:10:47 EST 1995

I am PhD student studying the protozoal enzyme(s) responsible for the
degradation of bacterial cell walls in the rumen. My problem is the fact that
the protozoa are impossible to culture without bacteria, and there is an
indigenous population of endosymbionts always present inside them. So far, I
have detected 3 bacteriolytic enzymes from a population of the rumen ciliate
Entodinium caudatum. Unfortunately, I have also seen the same three enzymes
from protozoa-free rumen fluid, suggesting that the enzyme activity from my
protozoa, could be due to bacterial contamination. In the preparation of my
protozoal extract, I include an overnight incubation with an antibiotic
cocktail, to try and eliminate as many of the bacteria as possible. I then
sonicate the protozoa, spin them, and the supernate is my extract which I then
run on SDS polyacrylamide gels with Micrococcus lysodeiticus incorporated into
them, so bacteriolytic activity shows up as clear bands in the opaque gel.