Growth rates of anaerobes

MCGEED at HAL.HAHNEMANN.EDU MCGEED at HAL.HAHNEMANN.EDU
Tue Feb 28 17:14:32 EST 1995

On 24 Feb 1995 kjell.fagerbakke at im.uib.no wrote:

> First of all growth rates are highly specific for species and will
> also depend on temperature (and more). The nearest I can get
> to your question is the fact that one glucose could be transfered
> to 38 ATP aerobically, wheras anaerobically this yield is 1-3
> depending on fermentativ path way. In addition there have to be
> accounted for some ATP for maintainence. This is written in all
> textbooks about microbiology. It have been some years since I
> read them, so I am sorry if the numbers are wrong.

I thought anaerobic bacteria were capable of making lots (36?) of ATP by
using alternative electron acceptors other than oxygen?  Anaerobes aren't
strictly fermentative bugs, are they?

David J. McGee
MCGEED at hal.hahnemann.edu

Graduate Student
McPHU (Medical College of Pennsylvania and Hahnemann University)
Center City Campus
15th and Vine Streets
Dept. Microbiology and Immunology M.S. 410
New College Building RM 10302
Philadelphia, PA 19102

Phone: 215-762-8275
Fax: 215-762-1004