fungal antibiotics

Tue Jan 3 18:29:27 EST 1995

This is a question from a high school student in our lab:

Hello, I am a 9th grader in high school and I have a question that
concerns a science project that I am working on. My project is using
natural products as antibiotics in order to kill bacteria. I would like
to know how I should test these natural products. First, I have grown
fungi and mold from swabs and now I would like to know how to test these
on my bacteria. Should I extract from the mold and fungi or should I
simply put the mold and fungi on top of a lawn of bacteria? Thank you
for your help.

Lillis Taylor
Kathy Rostand, Ph.D.
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Genetics
University of Alabama in Birmingham
Birmingham, AL 35294
TEL: (205) 934-1967
FAX: (205) 975-2547