lactobacilli in the vagina

Tue Jan 10 15:20:32 EST 1995

Hi there!

I am working with Gardnerella vaginalis and it's role in bacterial vaginosis
(infection with a decrease in vaginal lactobacilli and an increase in the
concentration of G.v. and other anaerobic bacteria).  My question is if anyone
knows what would cause a decrease in the lactobacilli present in the vagina.
Are there any general environmental changes that would cause the bacteria to
react this way? (I do know that there is a pH increase >4.5 present in BV
infections, could this be the reason?)

Any input would be helpful!

Lynne Whitehead
U. of Maryland - Microbiology Dept.