Biomining (microbiological leaching) info required

RD Farrelly farrelly at
Sun Jul 16 22:36:52 EST 1995

Greetings to all,

I'm doing a project with two others to determing the commercial
feasibility of setting up a biomine (ie using microorganisms to extract
metals) here in New Zealand.  Admittedly I'm biassed that we will
discover that it won't work however, I'm posting to ask for
information, any inforamtion about it, from anyone, anywhere and

This info is for an undergrad course, not a huge presentation, however
sufficient to determine whether the mining concept would work or not.
We have to do basic design and more importantly, economic calculations.

If someone has attempted to do something similar elsewhere in the world
then I would be very very interested to hear how they got on.

Thanks in advance for anything sent.

Post to farrelly at

--- Reub

Reuben D. Farrelly                He who laughs last laughs the
University of Waikato
Hamilton                             ***                        ***
New Zealand