Organic Sulphurous volatiles

K N and P J Harris ecoli at cix.compulink.co.uk
Tue Jul 25 02:56:34 EST 1995

Sticky sulphur,
I don't know what your sulphurous compound(s) might be but two things
are worth knowing. (1) We are pretty fantastic at detecting tiny
quantities of S organics by smell - the amounts might be very small. (2)
experience with GC many years ago taught us that S organics are mighty
sticky and can take a long, long time to come off a GC column. Make sure
you are really friends with the owner of the GC - we were only trying
simple things like dimethylsuphide but they were a pain.
Peter Harris,Reading,UK.