Odor Control Industrial Clarifier

jaredf jaredf at inforamp.net
Sat Jun 3 12:18:04 EST 1995

I am looking for cost effective solutions to occasional odor problems in a large industrial clarifier,
which results from anaerobic microbial activity.  On warm days both hydrogen sulfide and methane are
released into the air.

Addition of chlorine / hypo etc. is not an option under our environmental permit.  Has anyone any
experience with hydrogen peroxide or other chemicals?  Whatever is added to the clarifier must not create a
toxic effluent as the treated effluent is discharged into a river.

I'm not interested in so-called commercial "bag of bug" microbial products.  We are presently starting
up a secondary treatment system ahead of the clarifier and expect that the problem will diminish as the
level of BOD and nutrients in the feed to the clarifier is further reduced.

Thanks for your suggestions.

jaredf at inforamp.net