Staphylococcus/Vancomycin

Bob Morrell bmorrell at ISNET.IS.WFU.EDU
Mon Jun 5 13:59:28 EST 1995

On Mon, 5 Jun 1995, John Cherwonogrodzky wrote:
>      Is this true? Months ago I read in Morbidity and Mortality that
> some strains of Staphylococcus (35%?,65%?) were resistant to vacomycin. sorry
> I don't have the reference...John

No. Some vanco resistant staphs have been created in the lab, but it
scared at least some of the workers so bad they autoclaved it!
vanco resistant enterococci is probably running under 5%, depending upon
how you measure it. (we are 800+ beds and have only had two.
Your statistic probably referred to mrsa, methicillin/oxacillin resistant
staph aureus.

*                     Bob Morrell                       *
*              bmorrell at isnet.is.wfu.edu                *
* The operation was a success, as the autopsy will show *