Amoebiosis ( I think...)

Ira Redwood redwood at ug
Wed Jun 7 12:31:37 EST 1995

   Hi
I'm not sure of the spelling of amoebiosis ( Ab ) so I'll have to hope
you know what I'm talking about. I've read that Ab can only be detected
in fresh, warm stool samples. Is that correct? Is there any chance of
detecting Ab in a normal sample? Can Ab be confused with dientamoeoba
fragilis ( DAb )? The reason I'm asking is because I've been troubled
with an intestinal parasite ( diagnosed as DAb ), and was treated with
tetracycline and then diodoquin (sp?). I also gave myself three doses of
that pinworm stuff in two-week cycles ( I assume the two-week intervals
between doses has to do with the life cycle of the pinworms ). However,
after completing all of this over a month ago, and having a negative
result on a stool sample after that, I am still plagued by diarrhea and
dizzy spells. I've been told that there is a period after taking such
medicine that you can still have the above symptoms, but this seems to be
going on a bit too long. I've recently gone back to the doctor, and I'm
awaiting results, but I'd appreciate any thoughts that members of this
group might have. Am I just being paranoid, or what? I know I'll never
eat another raw scallop again :0

Where does dientamoeba come from, anyway? I read that it *may* come from
the eggs of pinworms ( hence the doses ), but I've heard of no conclusive
evidence of that.

Oh, and how do you detect those cystoids that Ab can establish in a
person? I've read that some have been located in the liver and even the
brain.           I think I'm getting dizzy again...    :(

	Ira (Red Dog) Redwood	|	Canadian First, Eh!
	Advanced Major		|
	Environmental Science	|	Albertan Second, Bud!
	Dalhousie University	|
	Halifax, Nova Scotia	|	Nova Scotian T'ird, B'ye!
	Canada			|
	Redwood at ug.cs.dal.ca	|