UNDER HUGE PRESSURE ?

Brad Nicholson brad at corona.med.utah.edu
Wed Jun 7 16:12:57 EST 1995

In article <3r4iq3$hfv at phunn1.sb.com>, Martin at GDB160.uk.sb.com wrote:
>Snip<
 >I want it because I wish to crack open  pathogenic bacteria in small
 >volumes and for this would be more suitable than a French press for
example.
 >No, my surname isn't Hughes!
 >Thanks for any forthcoming advice,
 >Martin.

Martin,
Do you have access to a Cup Horn Sonicator?  It's an attachment that screws
onto a normal sonicator, ours is a Heat Systems cell disruptor.  There is a
titanium? cylinder surrounded by a plexiglass cup.  It's like a ultrasonic
water bath from hell, you put your sample into a polycarbonate tube, put
said tube into the cup and off you go.  You can recirculate cooling fluid
through the center of the Ti cylinder and around your sample tube so your
sample doesn't cook.  The nice thing is that you can set up your tubes in a
bio-hazard hood, bring them to the sonicator and blast away.  It's not as
fast as a micro-tip but it does the job, and it keeps the nasties in the
tube.

Just a random thought and no I don't work for Heat Systems or any other
comercial company.

Brad

Brad Nicholson              |"If it worked the first time, it wouldn't be
Department of Pathology     |	research."...Brad Nicholson
University of Utah          |	Live from behind the Zion Curtian.
Salt Lake City, UT 84132    |
brad at corona.med.utah.edu    |
or: (801)-581-4365          | My opinions are solely my own.