UNDER HUGE PRESSURE ?

Stephen R. Lasky, Ph.D. Stephen_Lasky at brown.edu
Fri Jun 9 13:40:35 EST 1995

In article <3r4iq3$hfv at phunn1.sb.com>, Martin at GDB160.uk.sb.com wrote:

> Does anyone know where on this planet I can purchase a Hughes Pressure Cell ?
> It's a stainless steel block with two cylinders in it joined by a narrow
>
> aperture. The idea is that one  cools it to -20deg' C say, puts a
suspension of

> bugs or whatever into one cylinder and by application of pressure to a piston
>
> pushes the solid pellet through the aperture. This shears the material in the
>
> pellet. I want it because I wish to crack open  pathogenic bacteria in small
>
> volumes and for this would be more suitable than a French press for example.
>
> No, my surname isn't Hughes!
> Thanks for any forthcoming advice,
> Martin.

We used to call that a "French Press"  There was one, long out of use, at
the University of Cal at Santa Barbara.  It was attached to a  really nice
fermenter that at one time was used by Ellis Engelsberg and Nancy Lee to
grow up bugs to study the Ara operon. I don't know whether it is still
there, but they may be willing to part with it cheaply as I don't suspect
anyone is using it at this point ( shipping is another story).  You might
try to get in touch with one of the MoleBiol faculty at UCSB to find out.

SRLasky

Stephen R. Lasky Ph.D.  Brown University/Roger Williams Medical Center
Landline: 401-456-6572   Fax: 401-456-6569  E-Mail: Stephen_Lasky at brown.edu
America may be unique in being a country which has leapt from barbarism to decadence without touching civilization.  John O'hara