brucella-symptoms

Jennifer Fuhrman HEQZ65A at prodigy.com
Sat Jun 10 21:46:54 EST 1995

Hi, my name is Jennifer.  I have a co-worker who has suffered from
brucellosis and her insurance company refuses to believe that her present
discomforts are due to this illness.  I wonder if anyone out there knows
about symptoms that occur when brucella goes untreated for a short period
of time.
     In April of 1988, she began experiencing gastic distress, swollen
joints, chills, fever, lethargy, decreased blood pressure, and elevated
liver enzymes.  She was admitted to the hospital with a diagnosis of Non
A-Non B hepatitis and was treated.
     October of 1988, a febrile agglutinin serum blood test was performed
and she demonstrated an abnormally elevated titer to brucella.  At this
time, many fellow employees in my department (Microbiology) also were
experiencing milder symptoms along with elevated titers.  Her diagnosis
was then changed to Brucellosis which was further evidenced by obtaining
positive results on the liver biopsy, bone marrow, and blood cultures.
The infection had progressed to such an extent that the intial treatment
failed and a secondary course of treatment had to begin.  The source of
the infection was later determined to be an accidental exposure to
brucella.
     During this lengthy illness, she experienced tremors, inability to
walk, sit, stand, or sleep for any length of time.  In late 1989, she was
referred to a psychiatrist for severe depression and was unable to work.
Her depression further progressed to a point where the only therapy given
was shock treaments.  She returned to work on a part-time basis and has
progressed to her present level. ]
     She still is not in perfect health.  She suffers from Chronic
Fatigue Syndrome, Polymyalgia Rheumatica, and constant pain.  She also
has trouble sleeping due to decreased serotonin levels.  Medical
literature in the United States only shows several of her symptoms.  I
wonder if anyone knows about this illness and can tell me more about it...
Thank You!

Jen