brucellosis symptoms

bjorn.osterman at alinks.se bjorn.osterman at alinks.se
Tue Jun 13 10:18:09 EST 1995

     What is stressed in this message is to be re-emphasized, namely
     experienced problems of getting even medical surroundings to
     understand which are the difficulties to comprehend the whole
     concept of brucellosis.

     I, myself, did suffer from brucellosis ten years ago; this was the
     result of my examination of a sample of cerebrospinal fluid from
     a patient with what was proved to be a brucellar meningitis (there
     was no pre-exam suspicion). Three months later I did pass through
     the first episode of brucellosis (blood-culture proved Brucella
     melitensis). During convalescens after this episode, two months
     after leaving hospital, I fell sick again; the same story but more
     low-graded. The dominant feature of this episode was an extreme
     back-ache (acutely I fell down on the floor). The diagnosis proved
     to be brucellar lumbo-sacral disco-spondylitis with an intraspinal
     abscess.

     I am telling this because of the, at the time being, demonstrated
     apparent problems of my surrounding medical colleagues to grasp the
     whole situation of this second brucellar episode. A MD myself, I
     was told that I suffered from a back-ache, originating from a X-ray
     demonstrated spondylolisthesis in the lumbar region, in combination
     with weakness during convalescens and a perhaps prolapsed nucleus
     pulposus (operation for this was even planned!). The correct
     diagnosis was evidenced by a somewhat delayed (which is natural
     under the circumstances) rise of the Brucella-titers to very high
     levels. There had been interpretation problems concerning X-ray,
     MNR and so on. - The congenital spondylolisthesis was presumably a
     "locus minoris resistensi" for the Brucella infection. I, myself,
     was convinced from the beginning of this second episode, that this
     was a true relapse of brucellosis (and one of my colleagues did
     agree on my opinion).

     Brucella infection is predominantly characterized by its location
     intracellularly, and the infection has a tandency of both being
     generalized and localized. This "brucellar way of infection"
     naturally creates problems of diagnosis; especially, of course, in
     geograhic regions where brucellosis is a seldom ocurring infectious
     disease.

                                Regards,        Bj|rn Osterman, MD
     fax: +46-8-302577
                                                Stockholm, Sweden

     PS. In the hope of being successful with "typography" this time.