LPS, P. multocida and restriction digests

Walter Ogston ogston at HOBBES.KZOO.EDU
Wed Mar 8 16:32:52 EST 1995

Kirsty Townsend (ktownsen at eosin.path.uwa.edu.au) writes:
> I'm hoping someone out there can help me, because I'm having huge problems
> with restriction digests of particular strains of Pasteurella multocida.
> I get at the end of it all, will cut with Eco RI but not with Pst I. I
> have tried using increased enzyme concentrations, different buffer etc
> etc but to no avail. Can somebody help me??? Other strains cut perfectly
> well with both enzymes, so it has to be the effect of the LPS.

Does it have to be the LPS?  Is it possible this particular
strain carries the PstI or equivalent restriction-modification
system, so all the PstI sites are modified and won't cut for
that reason?  Just a thought.
Walter Ogston				ogston at hobbes.kzoo.edu
Department of Biology			Phone: (616)337-7010
Kalamazoo College			Fax:   (616)337-7251
Kalamazoo, MI 49006-3295