Chlamydomonas

Elizabeth Harris chlamy at acpub.duke.edu
Fri Mar 10 09:12:10 EST 1995

In article <3jo3nv$5ii at newsbf02.news.aol.com>, stevegou at aol.com (Steve
Gou) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Every week in school I have a critter of the week.  It is the
> Chalamydomonas.  I cannot find anything on it.  I was wondering if anyone
> knew anything about it, or a place to get it.  I need to know its
> classification, is it prokaryotic, how it eats and moves, and where it
> lives.  I have looked this up in my libarary and cannot find anything.
> Thanks

Chlamydomonas is a eukaryotic single-cell green alga.  The defining
characteristics are two flagella (how it moves), a cell wall, a single
chloroplast, usually occupying most of the cell volume, and a pyrenoid
(starch-accumulating organelle within the chloroplast).  The genus
includes nearly 500 described species.  The most commonly used laboratory
strain is C. reinhardtii, which is typically a soil organism.  For further
information, check out the following:

the bionet.chlamydomonas newsgroup

World Wide Web http://probe.nalusda.gov:8300
[This is the National Agricultural Library Plant Genome database, which
includes the Chlamydomonas database; select "browse chlamydomonas"]

http://megasun.bch.umontreal.ca/protists/chlamy/summary.html
[for a very nice picture and taxonomic description]

Text information is also available by gopher from the Plant Genome server
at the National Agricultural library (probe.nalusda.gov) or through the
Chlamydomonas gopher at Duke University.

Finally, look in your library for The Chlamydomonas Sourcebook (Academic
Press, 1989).

Elizabeth Harris
bionet.chlamydomonas discussion leader
chlamy at acpub.duke.edu