*** streptomyces infection (Q?)

Enevold.Falsen at alinks.se Enevold.Falsen at alinks.se
Wed Mar 15 23:38:12 EST 1995

Infections due to Streptomyces are rare and/or doubtful.
We have some ten isolates in our collection, but one should be
careful in naming organisms of this kind. There is not much
published (Medline) and there may easily be confusion between:
streptomycetes, Streptomycetaceae, Actinomycetales, Streptomyces,
etc. - and people may in fact have isolated a Nocardia, Gordona,
Rhodococcus, etc. - genera with much better clinical
documentation, but equally very complex.
Identification of these organisms is extremely difficult. We have
never tried to correctly identify the isolates. Standard fatty
acid profiling (FAME) may be useful, but Streptomyces must have
450-500 species....