Relationship of whooping cough and kennel cough?

Karl Fischer kfischer at
Sun Mar 19 06:06:32 EST 1995

In article <3khcnm$pk2 at>, kberry01 at (KBerry01)

> I would like to know if anyone has ever looked at the relationship of
> whooping cough to the kennel cough that dogs get?
> My nephew contracted whooping cough when he was 4 weeks old.  At the time
> he was born and for about 2 weeks after, my dog had kennel cough.  I know
> that BP is a virus,

I'm afraid you are incorrect. BP is a bacterium, not a virus. Kennel cough
is a generic term insofar as it is a respiratory infection which is often
disseminated in places where dogs are close-quartered. It can be caused by
a number of agents such as adenoviruses, parainfluenza viruses, some
parasites, and Bordetella bronchiseptica. I do not know if B. pertusis is
also a causative agent.

Karl Fischer
kfischer at
tyr-2 at