Direct selection for GalE in E.coli

Duncan Clark Duncan at
Mon Mar 20 10:14:51 EST 1995

Hi Folks,

I want to select for GalE in a normal delta(lac-proAB) host. Any
ideas how? I have a GalE lacZ host for transduction from but there is
no transposon to help in the selection.

Why do I want a GalE delta(lac-proAB) host? If you use pUC18 in such
a host with IPTG/Xgal etc the alpha complementation is lethal with
phenylgalactoside. This gives a direct selection for whites. Just
think, no phosphatasing and everything has an insert.

Many thanks