microbial methane production

Walter Ogston ogston at HOBBES.KZOO.EDU
Tue Mar 21 13:17:42 EST 1995

terry at uconnvm.uconn.edu (Tom Terry) writes:
> I teach a microbiology course, and a few of my students are interested in
> building a small scale methane generator. I'm not familiar with the
> literature on this subject. Anybody have a good reference or two regarding
> this? Thanks!
> Tom Terry, Dept. of Microbiology, Univ. of Conn.
In "Experimental Microbiology" byr R.M. Atlas, A.E. Brown, K.W.
Dobra and L. Miller (2 ed. 1988; McMillan) there is a neat
exercise (#38, page 377) setting up small scale methanogenic
culture.  The apparatus is fairly simple, you should be able to
adapt it to your purpose.
Walter Ogston				ogston at hobbes.kzoo.edu
Department of Biology			Phone: (616)337-7010
Kalamazoo College			Fax:   (616)337-7251
Kalamazoo, MI 49006-3295