Hydration of long chain fatty acids

Andreas Brune Andreas.Brune at uni-konstanz.de
Thu Mar 23 15:00:13 EST 1995

In article <HUDSONA.1.000FFF56 at grasslands.cri.nz>,
   HUDSONA at grasslands.cri.nz (john andrew hudson) wrote:
>I have a number of bacterial strains which, under anaerobic condtions, hydrate
>oleic acid to 10-hydroxystearic acid. My question is why do they do it? One
>idea is that it's a detoxification mechanism, especially of epoxy fatty acids.
>This, however, is not very plausible given that the isolates came from the
>rumen. Any ideas.

Many strictly anaerobic, fermenting bacteria gladly take electron acceptors
available in the medium. Unsaturated aliphatic or side-chains of aromatic compounds
are a typical example. With fumarate or caffeate this has been shown to be
an energy-yielding process. But even if the reduction of such an acceptor
is not coupled to electron transport phosphorylation, the shift in the
fermentation balance to more oxidized products (i.e., more acetate)
improves the ATP balance of the organisms metabiolism.

Regards,

Andreas

Dr. Andreas Brune         	Phone: 	+49-7531-883282
Mikrobielle Oekologie     	Fax:   	+49-7531-882966
Universitaet Konstanz     	E-mail:	Andreas.Brune at uni-konstanz.de