contamination

klennon at acs.bu.edu klennon at acs.bu.edu
Tue Mar 28 17:42:53 EST 1995

I am wondering if anyone can tell me the best policy for handling
contamination with E. coli. For example, one of the labs in my department
grows up large volumes (4-8 liters at a time) of ampicillin-resistant E. coli.
They pellet their cells by centrifugation in a superspeed centrifuge that is
used by all of the other department members for their work (ie, we spin our S.
cerevisiae samples, another lab spins blood, another one spins saliva. .
.quite a diverse group). Last week, we opened the superspeed to put our yeast
in to pellet and were blasted with a very strong bacteria smell. It turns out
that there was a soup of bacteria and God-knows-what-else growing in the
bottom of the centrifuge, due to improper techniques of decontaminating
surfaces. The person who opened up the centrifuge ended up with acute rhinitis
and conjunctivitis, not to mention feeling just plain tired and lousy. Both of
the other people present had symptoms of tightness in the chest and difficulty
breathing and blocked sinuses. Upon investigation, we found that people do not
routinely decontaminate surfaces, nor do they even bother to autoclave the
media the cells are grown in before pouring it down the drain. They don't
even bother decontaminating surfaces that could potentially be contaminated
with viruses (am I right in my idea that the Hep B virus can live on
surfaces for a week?) The safety office here says that our symptoms are not
from the E. coli, just a coincidence. The responsible lab has not changed its
habits. I want to write a protocol for them to follow, since our safety office
currently does not have a standard protocol they can advise us to use. Our lab
only grows up 1 ml cultures of bacteria ourselves, but we know that we have to
treat the media with either ethanol or bleach and that we must autoclave
plates before discarding them, but it would be nice to be able to convince
others to do the same and have some solid reasons as to why.

Thanks in advance.
klennon at bu.edu