Taxonomy problem

dean.harrington hs0dha at orac.sunderland.ac.uk
Fri Mar 31 04:04:54 EST 1995

Dear Netters

I wonder if I could enlist your help with a taxonomy problem. I am
currently gathering information on bacterial collagenases and have come
across references for two organisms namely Empedobacter collagenolyticum
and Actinomyces fradiae which apparently produce such enzymes. The
problem is that my 1984 copy of Bergeys has no mention of either of these
strains, nor any suggestion of any other strains which may have been
reclassified resulting in their allocation to new genera. Does anybody
have any knowledge of the history of these organisms? My preliminary
detective work indicated that Empedobacter may have arisen from
Acinetobacter and that Actinomyces fradiae may have become Streptomyces
fradiae but both these leads have also drawn blanks. Also if anyone is
aware of or works with a collagenase producing bacterium that doesn't get
much coverage in the literature I would be interested to hear from you.

Thanks in advance

Dean Harrington
School of Health Sciences
University of Sunderland